Playground Games and Strategies for Improving Recess
Learn How to Play Popular Recess GamesWatch Promo
Testimonials:Great course with valuable information for playground monitors and administrators.
Thank you for providing PD for Physical Education teachers. - Scott C.
The Playground Games and Strategies to Improve Recess online course is designed to introduce administrators, teachers, substitute teachers, physical educators, parents, after-school personnel, and playground supervisors to the responsibilities and strategies associated with organizing a successful recess. This course outlines how to make recess safe, fun, and orderly without “structuring recess”. It is worth 15 PD hours. You cannot purchase CEU or grad credits with this course.
Materials Provided in Course
The following learning materials are available for download within various sections of the course:
- Recess Choices Posters
- Ten Rainy Day Strategies for Indoor Recess and Physical Education
- Ten Tips to Improve Playground Supervision
- Rock, Paper & Scissors Poster and worksheets.
- Right to Recess Campaign Presentation
- Right to Recess Tool Kit.
- Recess Advocacy Handout
- 62 Alternatives to Withholding Recess
- Positive Alternatives to Withholding Recess
- Alternatives to Withholding Recess for Discipline Reasons
- Recess Before Lunch a Principal’s Cheat Sheet
- Fact Sheet Benefits of Recess Before Lunch
- Benefits of Recess Before Lunch District Sample
- Why Play Article
- Recess Basic Equipment Pack Suggestions
- How to Manage Discipline on the Playground
- Crucial Role of Recess in Schools
- Ten Reasons Why Recess is so Important
- Strategies for Recess in Schools
- A Guide for Putting Recess Strategies into Place
- Five Tips for a Kid-Friendly Playground
- Playground Report Form
- Ten Tips for Getting Your Grant Funded
This is an online on-demand course. Once you enroll in the course and pay for the course, you will be directed to the log on and spot to begin the course. Students can progress through the readings and final quiz at their own pace during the 2 week enrollment period.
Click here to download the one page description sheet.
Melinda Bossenmeyer, Ed.D. holds a doctorate in Educational Leadership
from U.C.L.A. She has a MS and BS in Kinesiology from California State
University Fullerton. She holds a K-12
teaching credential in Kinesiology and Health.
She holds a K-16 Administrator Clear Credential from UCLA.
Dr. Bossenmeyer taught for 27 years at public, private schools, and universities. She was a site principal and County Office Administrator as Director of Professional Development.
She is an expert witness in cases involving supervision and injuries on playgrounds in school settings.
She has authored 5 books on playgrounds and physical education. She has served on a variety of National Committees and State Boards on playgrounds and physical education.